You are currently viewing documentation for Linnworks Desktop, if you are looking for Linnworks.net documentation, click here.
Transferring your Linnworks Local Database to a new Server
Linnworks Local is no longer provided as a solution for new customers from 8th July 2013.
Please refer to the following documentation for Linnworks Anywhere
Linnworks Local Server Migration
If you are running your own Server installation of Linnworks for your Local License, and would like to move your data across to a new PC or a new Windows installation, this guide will help you do so. This could be for several reasons, either because you want to update the hardware, or because of an issue with the software or hardware that requires reinstallation or replacement. The basic steps are the same in all of these cases, and will be described below. Before beginning, always ensure your server installation of Linnworks is up to date with the latest patches, and if there are any support tickets open with the Linnworks team, please contact us to confirm there isn't a reason to delay the move.
On the original Server:
1. In your Start menu, under 'All Programs/Linn Systems/Linnworks/Tools', select 'Database Utility'. This can also be run directly from 'C:\Program Files(x86)\LinnSystems\Linnworks\DatabaseUtility.exe' or 'C:\Program Files\LinnSystems\Linnworks\DatabaseUtility.exe'.
2. In the Database Utility, provide a folder location for the backup file by selecting the button marked with three dots (...). This should be easily locatable, such as the Desktop, as you will need to copy this backup file to the new server.
3. Select the button marked 'Backup Database' to create a backup file of your current Linnworks Local database.
4. When the program reports the database backup has completed, select 'OK' and close the 'Database Utility'.
On the new Server:
1. After downloading the installer on the new Server, install it as per the instructions [here].
2. Login to Linnworks, then shut down the program, and open the 'Database Utility' program as per step 1.
3. Select the 'Restore' tab.
4. Copy the backup file you made from your original server to the new server, in an easily identifiable location, such as the Desktop.
5. Click on the button marked with three dots (...) to select the file for restoration.
6. After selecting the file, select 'Restore Database' to import the content into the new Server installation.
7. Select 'Yes' when prompted with a warning about overwriting the existing database. There is currently no information to worry about in the clean database you will be replacing.
8. When notified the Database Restore is complete, select OK to complete this part of the process, and close the Database Utility.
9. If you now open Linnworks on the Server PC, you should find all your data present, including Inventory, Orders and Channel Integrations, as it was on the old server PC.
10. Before you continue, go to the 'Start' Menu, and right click the 'Computer' option. Select 'Properties' from the menu.
11. In the 'System' screen, make a note of the 'Computer Name' value for when you are setting up any client PCs to connect to the new Server.
Client PCs on the local network can easily be updated to look at the new server.
1. Locate the file 'finawareStockControl.exe.config' in 'C:\Program Files(x86)\LinnSystems\Linnworks\DatabaseUtility.exe' or 'C:\Program Files\LinnSystems\Linnworks\DatabaseUtility.exe'.
2. Right click the file, and select 'Open with' from the menu.
3. Click on the 'Browse' button.
4. Go to the 'Windows' folder on the C:\ drive, and select 'Notepad.exe'. You can type 'Notepad.exe' in the 'Open file' box and then click on the 'Open' button.
5. Deselect the option 'Always use the selected file to open this kind of file', and then select 'Notepad.exe from the 'Other Programs' section and click on 'OK'.
6. In Notepad, you can now see and edit the configuration file for the Linnworks install. There will be a line reading something along the lines of '<add key="SQLSERVER" value="OLDSERVER\FINAWARE" />', where the term 'OLDSERVER' is the computer name of the old Linnworks Local Database Server.
7. Update the term in the place of 'OLDSERVER' with the name of the Server PC you copied down earlier. Save the file, you may need to agree to Administrator permissions to do so.
8. With the old Server off, run the Linnworks client, and confirm it can connect to the new Server.
9. If there are Linnworks clients connecting from outside your immediate network, via your internet connection, you will need to update any settings you made for your network to point to the new server so they can continue to communicate with the server as well. See here for more details.